Friday, February 8, 2008

Meat and Rice

EK's favorite meal is something that our family calls SOS. It stands for "Sh*t on a Shingle". I know, really yummy sounding. It is something that my Papa used to make when he was in the Navy. My mom makes it with mashed potatos, but S and I make it with rice. This is mostly due to the fact that as a newly wed I could not make mashed potatos (still can't but I now know that you can buy the instant kind). Anyways, this is EK's favorite meal. She will eat 2-3 large helpings of it every time we make it. She loves to eat it at my mom's house too. This week she has been requesting it. When she went to my mom's on Monday she asked for meat. Then the other night at our house I asked her if she wanted some rice. She looked at me and said "meat?" I gave her some of the chicken that I was eating and she said "No, meat, rice!" I finally figured out that she wanted SOS. So, needless to say, this is what we will be having for dinner tonight.
Actually S and I really like it. It is a comfort food for our family. The night of my Papa's funeral I made it because it was just warm and cozy and made us feel good. When I talked to my mom the next day she said that they had had SOS for dinner too. It just felt right to be eating that.
So for the much anticipated announcement of what SOS is, here is the recipe:

SOS
1 lb ground beef
Dehydrated onions
Flour
Water
2 beef buillon cubes

Brown meat in skillet with dehydrated onions. Drain meat and onion mixture. Add flour and water. Put in 2 beef buillon cubes while continuing to add flour and water until it is the consistency that you like (and it makes as much as you need it to).

Serve mixed with rice or mashed potatoes.

3 comments:

Kasey said...

This sounds a lot like a recipe I make. Beef Goolash. Brown beef, drain, add 1 can of beef consume and 1/2 can of water, and a little dab of worsterchire (however you spell it) sauce and bring to a simmer for 10 min. Add corn starch or flour to thicken and serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

Steph said...

I make the same thing and call it the same thing. I LOVE this recipe, I just didn't post because I thought people would think I was crazy with a name like that. I eat mine over a piece of toast!!! SOOOOOO Good!!!

The Mama said...

Definitely putting this on my must try list!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails